Front-End Web Developer, UI Developer, ISCS2015-2016
I worked closely with a small team who transitioned multiple web apps from R&D to production. Responsibilities include: maintaining/supporting existing codebases, and introduced front-end standards, via best practices and technologies, to improve the quality, consistency, and maintainability of our base products.
Projects Customer Service Portal — Self-service portal which allows customers to report and track claims, request policy changes, make payments and view policy documents, all without agent or company intervention.
- Refactored existing codebase by implementing a responsive, performant, and cross-browser compatible (IE9+) design
- Built multiple templates, layouts, and styles into our new config service for easy configuration
- Designed new, modular, UI components to be used/documented in our interactive pattern library using Pattern Lab & React Storybook
Home Quote Portal — A themeable, quick quote portal for home insurance policies. Built with AngularJS, PostCSS, and Bootstrap.
- Developed theming capabilities that allow deep customization on a per client basis
- Built the first design system/CSS architecture to provide consistency and maintainability
- Transformed mockups (provided by UX) into performant, pixel-perfect, responsive web apps
API Documentation — Dynamically generated API documentation from Swagger definitions to extend ISCS's SurePower Innovation. Built with LESS, Handlebars, and Gulp.
Freelance Web Designer & Developer, Self 2014—2015
Front-End Development, McLeod Software 2013
Designed and developed the company's new Customer Access Portal which allowed customers to edit, view and create support tickets in our internal database via the support website. My main responsibilities on this project included developing the front-end logic/UI, deployment, and client support.
- First, and only, point of contact for all customer support relating to the Customer Access Portal
- Integrated new web service with the existing MojoPortal (CMS) Support website
- Utilized front-end technologies such as jQuery, AJAX, and XML
Customer Access Portal — An easy way for customers to check the status of any given ticket in McLeod's internal ticketing software. Built with AJAX and jQuery
Consulting, Web Design/Development, Manuscript Critique 2013
Responsible for redesigning and developing a responsive website optimized for performance and SEO from scratch.
Web Maintenance, Impact Alabama 2009
Met with the client to discuss current issues with their website, and discuss different solutions to the given problems. Also designed a new layout, which would provide a better UX for their rich media.
Semantic HTML, CSS (LESS/SASS/PostCSS), CSS Architecture, CSS Best Practices (BEM, Stylelint, etc.), Responsive/Mobile-First DesignBootstrap, AngularJS, React, Git, NPM, Webpack, Gulp, Grunt, AJAX & JSON/XML, JS, jQuery, CMS (Wordpress/Jekyll/PHP), Liquid Templating, Handlebars, Pattern Lab, React Storybook
The University of Alabama 2005-2009
Major — Operations Management Minor — Computer Science
- Mudtown Kennels — A local kennel built using my boilerplate, Timber.
- GIFtee — A macOS menubar app to easily convert media to animated GIFs. Built on Electron.
- Timber — Personal barebones web app starter built using PostCSS, Webpack2, and Yarn.
- Spar — The predecessor of Timber. A lean boilerplate using npm as a Build Tool.
- Designed/built HealthFundIt's initial proof-of-concept (view the TEDxBirmingham talk)
- Android Beta Apps — A curated list of Android app beta's. Built using Google Drive as an API and Google's Material Design.
JFF (Just For Fun) Projects
- CahabaHeights.Today — Aggregates local news, classifieds, events, and real estate listings for my community to help easily help me stay up-to-date.
- .ws — Landing Page for my 15 year Fantasy League with my friends. (just an excuse to buy an emoji domain name)
- emilyandwa.de — Digital invitation for my daughter's confetti-themed 1st birthday party.
Organizations & Groups
- Active Member of Futureproof Bama — A nonprofit founded to help prepare for the transition when robotics/AI make traditional work obsolete.
- Active Member of Magic City Tech — A group of Birmingham area developers, designers, marketers, etc. involved in technology.
- Beta Tester for Roku, Inc.
- Beta Tester for TP-LINK Technologies Company
- Member of FBLA — Future Business Leaders of America
- Member of ACM — Association for Computing Machinery