- Performant, mobile-first design for fast loading on poor networks
- A Progressive Web App to give a full screen experience and the ability to add an icon to your home screen.
- Created an automated e-mail service for easy customer engagement
- Included an emoji domain, 🦆🐕.ws, for additional branding & marketing opportunities
Front-End Developer, ManuscriptCritique.com (2013)2013, 2018
This rewrite included a mobile-first, content-focused design including a CMS integration. The static pages were built using my personal boilerplate, Timber.
- Interactive docs that's easy for anyone to use, adopt, and consume
- Dev environment with Hot Module Reloading to automatically reload changes without losing state or refreshing the page
- Large improvements on time spent on-boarding new developers
Nymbl.Systems — Worked with a small team of developers to help migrate a antiqued PHP web application to a component-oriented architecture.
- Created the front-end build system involving Webpack, PostCSS, Babel, ESLint, and other tools
- Documented and rebuilt all existing UI components (markup & styles)
- Created scalable and maintainable CSS and the tooling to facilitate it
VBI.io — Refactored the existing marketing website for increased performance, page load times, SEO gains, and to fix existing errors.
- Crafted a set of best practices & standards with a focus on consistency in terms of project structure, coding style, and environment setup
- Created a multiple ENV setup with an optimized build for PROD that included many performance enhancements using source maps, treeshaking, and lazy-loading specific resources
- Fixed and optimized existing codebase to be more functional and performant
Web Developer, UX Architect, ISCS2015-2016
I worked closely with a small team responsible for maintaining/supporting existing codebases, transitioning consumer products from R&D to PROD, and completely rewriting all web apps focusing modularity and customization.
- Collaborated to define a set of front-end standards and processes to improve the quality, consistency, and maintainability of all consumering facing products
- Built the front-end architecture of all web apps
- Designed, developed, and maintained a living style guide
- Introduced new techniques and technologies, such as: UX research, design consistency, and coding style; RWD; UI design systems; Built-in theming capabilities; Rapid prototyping; RWD / Mobile First Design
Customer Service Portal — Self-service portal which allows customers to report and track claims, request policy changes, make payments and view policy documents, all without agent or company intervention.
- Refactored existing codebase by implementing a responsive, performant, and cross-browser compatible (IE9+) design
- Built multiple templates, layouts, and styles into our new config service for easy configuration
- Designed new, modular, UI components to be used/documented in our interactive pattern library using Pattern Lab & React Storybook
Home Quote Portal — A themeable, quick quote portal for home insurance policies. Built with AngularJS, PostCSS, and Bootstrap.
- Developed theming capabilities that allow deep customization on a per client basis
- Built the first design system/CSS architecture to provide consistency and maintainability
- Transformed mockups (provided by UX) into performant, pixel-perfect, responsive web apps
API Documentation — Dynamically generated API documentation from Swagger definitions to extend ISCS's SurePower Innovation. Built with LESS, Handlebars, and Gulp.
Freelance Web Development Self 2014—2015
Front-End Development, McLeod Software 2013
Customer Access Portal — The company's first web app which allowed customers to edit, view and create tickets, via our support site, in an internal database.
- Integrated new web service with our existing CMS / support site
- Responsible for all the front-end development, UI design, deployment, and client support
- Primary point of contact for all internal and external inquiries relating to the project
Semantic HTML, CSS (LESS/SASS/PostCSS), CSS Architecture, CSS Best Practices (BEM, Stylelint, etc.), Responsive/Mobile-First DesignBootstrap, AngularJS, React, Git, NPM, Webpack, Gulp, Grunt, AJAX & JSON/XML, JS, jQuery, CMS (Wordpress/Jekyll/PHP), Liquid Templating, Handlebars, Pattern Lab, React Storybook
The University of Alabama 2005-2009
Major — Operations Management Minor — Computer Science
- Timber (Docs) — My personal boilerplate / web starter app. It's purposely small in scope with minimal bloat for easy customization, rapid prototyping, and a friendly development experience.
- Listed contributor for Mini.css — A minimal, responsive, style-agnostic CSS framework. Tool.
- GIFtee — A macOS menubar app to easily convert media to animated GIFs. Built on Electron.
- Spar — The predecessor of Timber. A lean boilerplate using npm as a Build Tool.
- Designed/built HealthFundIt's initial proof-of-concept (view the TEDxBirmingham talk)
- Android Beta Apps — A curated list of Android app beta's. Built using Google Drive as an API and Google's Material Design.
- CahabaHeights.Today — Aggregates local news, classifieds, events, and real estate listings for my community to help easily help me stay up-to-date.
- 🐘🏈.cf — An animated GIF library of Alabama Football highlights.
Organizations & Groups
- Active Member of Futureproof Bama — A nonprofit founded to help prepare for the transition when robotics/AI make traditional work obsolete.
- Active Member of Magic City Tech — A group of Birmingham area developers, designers, marketers, etc. involved in technology.
- Beta Tester for Roku, Inc.
- Beta Tester for TP-LINK Technologies Company
- Member of FBLA — Future Business Leaders of America
- Member of ACM — Association for Computing Machinery